Almost Cabbage Rolls Casserole

I just love this recipe.  Here it is.

1 lb. lean ground beef (I use ground chicken or turkey)
3/4 cup uncooked rice (I use brown or black rice)
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced (I use about 6 cloves....love garlic!)
1/2 tsp. salt (which I don't add)
1/4 tsp. pepper (I add alot more...love pepper)
1 can (28 oz/796 ml) tomato sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tbsp. packed brown sugar
1 tbsp. dry mustard
8 cups coarsely chopped cabbage (1/2 head)

In large bowl, mix together beef, rice, onion, garlic, salt and pepper.

In another bowl, stir together tomato sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and mustard.

 Layer one-third of the cabbage in bottom of a 3 quart deep casserole (I use a big turkey roasting pan).  Arrange half of the beef mixture on top.  Cover with another one-third of the cabbage.  Top with remaining beef mixture and remaining cabbage.  Pour tomato sauce mixture over top, but do not stir.  Casserole will be quite full.  Cover; let sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes.  Bake in 325 degree oven for 2 hours, without stirring.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Comments