Ginger Oatmeal Cookies Using Fresh Ginger

I made these cookies this afternoon because we had a piece of ginger in our fridge and I wasn't sure what to do with it.  We love ginger and usually add it to stir fries and fried rice.  This was a nice change, although I'm not sure everyone would like them.  I omitted the sugar and salt in mine. Also, I used 1/2 cup applesauce and 2 tbsp. oil in place of the oil in the recipe.  My batter was a bit dry so I added 1/4 milk to it.

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups of oats
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. black strap molasses
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. ground ginger
3/4 cup of brown sugar
1 chunk of fresh ginger, diced
1 egg
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. water

Mix dry ingredients.  Add diced ginger.  Mix wet ingredients together in another bowl and add it to the dry.
Set oven at 350 degrees F., 13 - 15 minutes.

Comments