My Mom's Beans

This is my Mom's bean recipe which we had regularly growing up.  I continued making them regularly as an adult.  We eat beans three times a week in different forms.  We made my Mom's beans yesterday for supper....very plain and easy...but so good.

This is made in a slow cooker.  Add enough water to cover everything...adding more water if needed as its cooking.  Cook on HIGH for 6 - 8 hours.

3 cups of white navy beans (depending on what I have in stock...I'll use romano beans, kidney beans, black beans - 1 cup of each).  I especially like the romano beans as they form a nice brown sauce.

2 stalks of celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
4 potatoes or so, quartered
2 onions, chopped


I add tons of pepper, some chili peppers, a bit of curry, cumin...whatever spices you like....pepper is a big one for me.  I usually add something tomato in it too...either one chopped tomato.....or a couple of spoons of tomato sauce, just for added flavour.


You can add other veggies too.  I added Bok Choy yesterday since I had some in the fridge that needed to be used.  I also added some chunks of zucchini ....still lingering in my fridge from my garden's Fall harvest.  Spinach goes really well (I didn't have any this time).


Here's what yesterday's version looked like.  It was good...leftovers for lunch!





Comments