Barley Vegetable Soup

I made this pot of soup this afternoon.  It's been awhile since we ate barley so I decided to make this one -- it was a toss up between this and Italian Wedding Soup (yum).

2 cups broth
1 cup of mushrooms, chopped (I put white and portabella)
2 stalks of chopped celery
2 onions, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1/2 cup cabbage, chopped
2 potatoes, diced
a handful of chopped spinach
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 can of diced tomatoes
1/2 cup of beer (optional - I added it)
pepper, sage, basil, oregano

Saute the onions, mushrooms, carrots and celery for about 10 minutes.  Add all other ingredients except barley and bring to a boil.  Add barley and simmer for about 1/2 hour.

Comments

  1. that looks extremely delicious. I've never tried barley and never know what to do with it so I don't usually buy it. I think I'll try this recipe! Perfect for the chilly weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have another barley recipe on my site you might want to check out...we've made it as a side dish. It's here:

    http://healthyfoodideas.blogspot.com/2010/10/spinach-and-mushroom-barley-pilaf.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment