Italian Wedding Soup - my version

This is my version of Italian Wedding Soup.  I like adding more vegetables to it for added nutrition.  I also used ground chicken, rather than ground beef.

Firstly, make a batch of mini meatballs.  I added an egg, spices, oats and italian bread crumbs.  I like adding oats for nutritional purposes....sneaking in a bit of ground flax would be good too.  Lightly fry them so they form a nice crust all around.

For the soup, I used turkey broth and added 4 cloves of minced garlic, pepper, basil (add whatever spiced you like) one diced carrot, one diced onion, one diced celery stock and a bunch of spinach.  Add the meatballs and bring to a boil.  Then add 1/2 cup of Acini de Pepe pasta and lower heat to simmer.....about 8 minutes.  Serve with parmesan cheese. I also added a bit of parmesan cheese right in the broth as it was cooking.  So good!

Comments