Tomato Vegetable Macaroni Soup

Today I decided to make a Tomato Vegetable Pasta Soup.  I love tomato based foods.....being Italian, it's second nature to me.

Tomatoes are a high source of the antioxidant LycopeneLycopene is also found in grapefruit and watermelon and it is what gives them the reddish color.  Studies show that Lycopene help reduce the risk of certain cancers such as prostate and breast cancers and also help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.

Tomatoes are also rich in Vitamin A, C, Calcium and Fiber.   The nutrition in tomatoes is increased by cooking them.

For this soup I used a can of crushed tomatoes and about 6 cups of water.  The vegetables I used are:

Green Cabbage
Onions
Carrots
Rutabaga
Celery
Spinach
Potatoes
Garlic
lots of pepper, parsley, oregano

I used whole-wheat elbow macaroni (as per my boyfriend's craving and childhood memories lol).  It's a good hearty soup for this dread cold damp day.


 

Comments