Strawberry Healthy Cake

When I had the first slice of this cake right out of the oven, I wasn't sure I quite liked it.  I made it with frozen strawberries and found that it was too moist.  My boyfriend, on the other hand, absolutely loved it!  After it cooled off, I tried another piece and it started growing on me.  When I got to the last piece and then had nothing left ... I started craving it lol.  I'd make it different next time .... using different fruit ... fresh rather than frozen and I would add more grains to the dough, such as bran and oats. There isn't any sugar in this recipe so if you like sweetness, you would have to add some.


This is the basic recipe.....plus or minus on the amounts.  It's very easy to alter to your own tastes.


1 cup of whole wheat flour
1/4 cup dry milk
1 tsp. baking powder
3 eggs, separated
1 tbsp. oil
1/2 cup of skim milk
1 cup of water
frozen strawberries


In one big bowl, mix your dry ingredients.  In another bowl whisk your wet ingredients, using egg yolks only.  Then mix the wet into the dry ingredients.


In a third bowl, beat your egg whites until they are stiff.  Fold them into the batter.


Grease a baking pan and pour half the batter into it.  Top the batter with strawberries (or any fruit you prefer). Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg (or with any flavours you prefer).  I drizzled some honey over them (optional).  Then pour the other half of the batter over top of the strawberries.


Bake at 350 degrees for about 1/2 hour.

Comments