Meatball Sub Casserole

I made this last night but I can't take credit for the recipe as it's all over the place on the internet.  I tried to make a healthier version.  It sure was good and it definitely takes the craving away if you're craving a meatball sub!

I made the meatballs using ground turkey, rather than beef.  I used an egg and oatmeal to form them along with alot of different Italian spices .... and tons of garlic.

For the bread, I used multi-grain bruschetta bread and spread them with minced garlic.

I made the sauce using a can of tomato paste and two chopped tomatoes, again with tons of spices, fresh crushed garlic, chopped onions .... and I added two chopped asparagus spears ... picked from our garden.

Line up your bread around the pan.  You can use any bread.  Add meatballs in the center.  Sprinkle with parmesan and any other cheese of your choice.  I used cheddar as that's what I had on hand.  I would of preferred mozzarella ..... but there will be a next time making this recipe since it was so good!  Cover the whole pan with sauce .... add more cheeses and bake covered in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.  Then take cover off and bake for another 5 or 10 minutes.




Comments