Healthy Carrot Bars

With the Fall harvest, I had alot of carrots and was thinking of different recipes I can make with them. Carrots are so healthy being a rich source of beta-carotene which is a strong antioxidant.
You can make these bars with any grains. I made them with the ingredients I had on hand. You can't go wrong when making them. It's just a matter of mixing the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients and getting the right texture so that you can spread the batter into the pan - not too dry and not too wet.

This is what I used -- and the amount are all approximate.

In a large bowl, I mixed:

2 large carrots, shredded in food processor
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder

1/3 cup each of:
  • spelt flakes
  • bran
  • oat bran
  • ground spelt
  • coconut flour
  • oatmeal
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup black sesame seeds
1/2 cup raw sunflower seed
2 tsp. pumpkin spice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. all spice

In a smaller bowl, I whisked:

2 eggs
1 1/2 cups of skim milk (more or less as needed)
1 tbsp. canola oil
1/4 cup applesauce

Mix the wet into the dry to get the right consistency to be spreadable in a 15" x 10" pan.

Bake at 350 degrees F for about 1/2 hour. Then cut into squares.

Next time I make them, I will vary them. Some suggestions are adding chopped dates, walnuts, raw peanuts, orange and lemon rind, honey, poppy seeds, etc. There so many ways to make them. They make a great healthy snack.









Comments